Saturday, February 12, 2011

MEMORIES OF MUNINDRA
Gossip,praise ,blame ,truth ,half truth and illusion interweave in discussing lives led
or almost led. It is easy to say that it depends on ones perception.If in fact all
perceptions had equal weight. When discussing a holy man.a man of the cloth, a noble
philosopher,a Buddhist teacher,, guru , evangelical preacher
Men of god if you will ,who seem to come under particular scrutiny and judgment on
their way to sainthood, heaven or nirvana. Certain areas of gossip disturb me.but I am
never sure where the line between gossip and history resides much less truth and
fiction
Recently I read parts of a book concerning the Buddhist teacher Anagarika
Munindra.There were anecdotes biographical stories about etc.before I read more I
thought I would throw out into the world my 2 cents without absorbing other reflections
that would influence ,sway or color my own innocent takes
Perhaps I did not know him as well as many others, after all it was a relatively brief
period in the weeks before and after the full moon of Aquarius Leo in January
1972 that I spent time with him, iIgnorant and innocent in the ways of meditation
I arrived in Bodhgaya with the intention of taking a meditation course with Usn Goenka.
It was to be my first meditation course.My motive was less romantic, less spiritually
motivated than many I have heard over the years. I simply thought it would be
something good to learn if I ever found myself in jail.
Fellow travelers encountered on the train from Benares to Gaya directed me to the
Ghandi Ashram for lodging the night before the meditation course. A clean bright good
sized room without furniture and a floor to throw your blankets or sleeping bag seemed
to be the totality of the operation.A small wiry man dressed in Indian whites appeared to
be in charge.He spoke little, stayed in the room only momentarily, though stared
intensely
as he swept his eyes over the room and the people inhabiting. That was my first
encounter with Munindra.
After what turned out to be a shockingly intense time at the meditation course and
the days following
I found myself again at the ashram supervised by munindra. I spent my time in the small
Market place having chai,walking around socializing, intensely meditating.I would se
MUNINDRA in the market place shopping for food bartering walking rapidly observing
with keen insight the environment people etc.in the late afternoon evening he would
take a rickshaw to the Burmese vihara for the evening meditation and talk by Goenka
at the subsequent meditation course taking place.Sometimes. he would yell and wave
from the passing rickshaw "go meditate',sometimes he would stop the rickshaw if I were
walking alone tell me to get in
And we would go to the meditation together alway sitting at the very back of the room.by
the entrance way ,at. the entrance way
MUNINDRA silent ,cross legged and still.Subjectively I saw him as Goenka's backup
A calming ,humble anonymous at times presence in the charismatic world that was
Goenka. I felt rightly or wrongly he was looking after me.
I did ask him questions from time to time usually when we encountered one another in
the town.The responses were considered,concise ,to the point and always surprising.
On one occasion I had gone over to the Mahabodhi temple to meditate.there was
an upstairs area made of grey stone,open to the sky,that seemed friendly to the act of
repose, I found a nice flat seat of stone folding my legs under me, took a breath notating
the beauty of the day and my environment .Some 25 or 30 so feet away a group of a
half dozen plus Tibetans were gathered together chanting , not an unusual
Happening in a place such as Bodhgaya nor an obstructive or annoying one.
I simply could not meditate.I could not concentrate.I could observe my breath to the
count of one.that was it! It was as if the chanting had temporarily taken over my being.
My will, my awareness of the situation seemed to have no bearing.like a dead zone
a zone without movement.It wasn't,t a bad feeling or a scary feeling it was however
frustrating.After some 20 or 30 minutes I gave up headed out of the temple back into
the town .the ashram quite perplexed.As was the usual manner I encountered
MUNINDRA scurrying back to his room."What was going on. " I asked him.He looked
Into my eyes for a moment and said calmly"They are chanting for money, power,
success..things like that..you can learn that if you want." shrugged his shoulders
to communicate it's unimportance and a certain lack of respect than continued his
scurrying.
On another occasion,I told him I had a cold and fever he suggested I take an
aspirin.
I replied that I wanted to deal with the emotions and causes,His stared deeply it was as
if my psyche had expanded as far as it had gone in self awareness and not a drop or
millimeter farther.He nodded slightly,retreating back into his composure and continued
on his way.the cold and fever were no longer present.
Whenever I had a question it did not take long for MUNINDRA to appear
In my midst.Though I did not associate my study of astrology with buddhism or
Meditation as a matter of course I thought I would inquire of Munidra if he had a
perspective on the subject.I expected a negative or dismissive response,instead his
eyes lit up with warmth and friendliness."my father was an astrologer,nothing wrong
With it if you keep to the spiritual".he replied.
I miss him,glad to have known him in this life if not flat out blessed.A subtle yet
demonstrative presence.blessings to him wherever he is.
Douglas Ira Berman

No comments:

Post a Comment